Sunday, January 2, 2011

REGULATING POT WOULD HELP FIGHT AGAINST HARDER DRUGS

http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v10/n1073/a02.html?

by Kirk Muse, (Source:Free Times)

29 Dec 2010

South Carolina
-------
Thanks for publishing the outstanding letter from the directors of Columbia NORML ( Sound Off, "We Love Pot; You Should Too," Dec.  22 ). 


I'd like to add that I've been buying beer and wine for more than 30 years.  Yet, I've never been offered a free sample of whiskey, gin, vodka or any other hard liquor.  However, when I was a marijuana user, which was more than 15 years ago, I was frequently offered free samples of much more dangerous drugs such as cocaine and meth by my marijuana suppliers. 


If we regulate, control and tax the sale and production of marijuana and sell it in licensed business establishments like we do with tobacco products, we will close the gateway from marijuana to hard drugs. 


Speaking of taxes, it seems to me that non-marijuana users would be very much in favor of taxing a product that they don't use.  Around these parts, taxing someone else's vice is very popular. 


Kirk Muse
Mesa, Ariz. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment