Monday, January 24, 2011

A Response From Senator Lindsey O. Graham R-SC

I sent around five emails to Senator Graham about the issues that concerns myself and NORML as an organization. The emails can be seen here:

http://endprohibitioninsc.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-personal-letters-to-my.html

Here is the reply about my concerns from Senator Graham.

“January 10, 2011

Thank you for contacting me regarding our criminal justice system. I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you on this critical issue.

I understand your concern that some federal prison facilities are ill-equipped to accommodate the high volume of inmates. While I support a system of federal incarceration that effectively enforces our nation’s laws, I recognize that such enforcement requires adequate prison facilities. I also recognize that many of our nation’s prisons are filled with non-violent offenders who tax limited resources and who may be more effectively and efficiently served by a combination of limited incarceration, rehabilitation, and addiction treatment services.

You may be interested to learn of my cosponsorship of S. 714, the National Criminal Justice Commission Act, introduced on March 26, 2009. This legislation will create a blue-ribbon commission charged with undertaking an 18-month, top-to-bottom review of our entire criminal justice system. The commission will propose concrete, wide ranging reforms designed to responsibly reduce the overall incarceration rate; improve federal and local responses to international and domestic gang violence; restructure our approach to drug policy; improve the treatment of mental illness; strengthen prison administration; and establish a system for reintegrating ex-offenders. S. 714 has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee for review.

As Ranking Member of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs, I was pleased to participate in a hearing on S. 714 on June 11, 2009. During the hearing, testimony was provided by a diverse group of experts including legal professionals and academics, members of the law enforcement community, and prison ministry representatives, all of whom offered unique and valuable perspectives on proposed criminal justice reforms. I am hopeful that the full Senate will have an opportunity to review this important bill soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. If I may be of further assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to call on me.

Sincerely,

Lindsey O. Graham

United States Senator”



No comments:

Post a Comment